AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sheep or goats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JayWalker
Posted 1/14/2018 15:33 (#6504817)
Subject: Sheep or goats

Coastal South Carolina
Good afternoon. I would like some information from the brain trust.

I am looking to diversify on a small scale. I am raising a few hogs for my freezer. I raise a few cows and sale at the local sale barn. I am thinking about getting a few goats or sheep.

Goats:
I can sell the goats at the sale barn. I have never successfully raised goats. I tried some years ago and did not know what I was doing. I did not have anyone to call on to ask questions. I have 4 friends/neighbors successfully raising them now. They all sell at sale barn. I will have to build a house for them to get into out of rain. They will be "penned" next to my hogs. I have 40 acres of woods/cut over timber I can run them in as well as pastures.

Sheep:
I can sell at sale barn or possibly to local Greek restaurant. I know nothing about sheep. I have never raised sheep. No one locally raises them. I have seen a few at sale barn. They would be penned next to my hogs. They would be on the same pastures as goats.

Having said all of the above here are my question to those of you who have either: what are the pro/cons of each? What are the cost of raising each? What is the birth rate of each (1,2,3,4 births per year)? What condition will they survive in? (We have 90 to 100 degree summers with high humidity). Are there any disease to look out for? Are either compatible with cows, hogs? Are either not compatible with hogs cows? Any other things you can think of?

Thanks
JayWalker

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)