AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trouble trying to switch computer to SSD
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 1/5/2018 07:35 (#6480264)
Subject: Trouble trying to switch computer to SSD

South Georgia
I asked a question here about a week ago about switching my office computer to a Solid State Drive. Even though it is a kinda old computer, I decided that's what I would do. (I probably should be spending my time more productively, but I like to tinker. I can't help it.) I've never done this before, but I figured I could get it done with the help of Google.

So far... No such luck. I have the new drive partitioned, and each partition cloned to the new drive, which seems as far as I can tell to have been successful. It has a ~13 GB recovery partition, a 100 MB 'System Reserved' partition, and my main partition. When I swap the new drive for the old one, the system will not boot. It tells me I need my recovery USB, which I have made, but I can't seem to get the computer to see the recovery USB, nor can I seem to get into the BIOS settings. I've done that years ago, but for some reason now it seems to sometimes skip the part of the boot cycle where it tells me which keys to hit for BIOS setup, and hitting those keys (F12 or Delete, one for setup, other for Boot Order, I think) during boot doesn't do anything for me.

Looking at the two drives in question in Disk Management, the 'old' drive shows "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)", while the 'new' drive just shows "Healthy (Primary Partition)".

So... What do I need to do to tell it that the new hard drive is a boot drive?

Computer is a several year old Acer Aspire something or other, running Windows 10. I used EaseUS Todo Backup Free 10.6 to clone the drive. Only things on the drives I'm dealing with are OS and program install files. All my work is on another drive. Computer still works normally when I plug the old drive back in, and is what I'm using right this minute to post this.

Thanks for any help!

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)