AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What age should kids get a phone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Haoleguy
Posted 1/4/2018 10:50 (#6478044 - in reply to #6473217)
Subject: RE: What age should kids get a phone?

Really tough question. Widespread cell service came in after my kids were out of the house. Now it's their kids, our grandkids, that are pushing the parental buttons. The oldest, 8 yrs, is starting to put shots across the bow. I'm guessing by 12 she will have some type of communication device. To be honest I don't buy the getting use to technology and data searching argument teaching them. There's plenty of time to catch up on technology and they need to learn, through parents and school, on how to manage information in quality and volume first. You can't believe everything you see on the internet. Thus I think a real use at a younger age is for emergencies mostly and social communication infrequently with limits on the latter. You can get a pay-as-go plan which will teach them limits on use and provides the emergency safety net needed at a sweet price point. Here's a simple one we use for everyday calls and text and when we are in our house on wifi the texts are free....... https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=planMin . They offer low cost phones and use the ATT network. There are similar ones that piggyback onto the Verizon and TMobile networks. My suggestion would be to wait until 12-14 years old. Even then there is a chance that they get hooked and are distracted by the devices and not really experiencing what's around them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)