AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What age should kids get a phone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

DAN SEWI
Posted 1/2/2018 19:58 (#6473877 - in reply to #6473217)
Subject: RE: What age should kids get a phone?

My 11 year old got an iPod touch for christmas. He had been begging for a phone. At this point he is not so busy that we need to be able to reach him at all times. It does not go to school with him. I can see how some kids may need that though. Ipod touch cost $200 so much cheaper than a smartphone. It has the same camera as a smartphone and can use for music and messaging, games like a smartphone. It has bluetooth and wifi, so it is basically an iPhone without the phone function. It can message or facetime anyone with an iPhone. Also it is linked to our account so any app downloads and purchases have to be approved by us. No monthly fee for it either. It could be linked to another phone acting as a hotspot.
This works for us as my wife and I both use iPhones.

Basically we feel that it gives him most of the functionality of a smartphone but lets us enforce some limits easier. I told him that giving a child a smartphone with unlimited access to internet is like dropping him off in a big city. Lots of neat things to do, see and learn but also easy to go down a wrong path with less than stellar consequences.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)