AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

App rate module ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/4/2018 08:44 (#6477680 - in reply to #6476347)
Subject: RE: Thanks ,Ted. 1 more?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
deereman23 - 1/3/2018 06:55

Do you know the PIN numbers to use when hooking up the encoder. Thanks

As I recall there are two flavors of the encoder. One for high speed situations and another for lower speed applications. The ones I'm thinking off have an optical sensor inside that is aimed at a disc which is attached to the shaft. The disk contains pie shaped areas of black and white. So as the shaft turns, the disc turns and these black and white areas pass by the sensor. The difference between the two models is just the disc itself.

The unit for high speed has fewer sections so less pulses are produced per revolution. The low speed unit has more sections. It is necessary to pick the correct one for the situation. If you use a low speed unit in a high speed application, the sections are small and may pass by the sensor so quickly that the sensor can't keep up since it would appear as a blur. If you use a high speed sensor in a low speed application, then the number of pulses seen may be so low that the system drops out. Certain situations might work fine with either.

Here's a link to the slow model. This sensor is mounted on the end of a 1" shaft with the coupler shown. The encoder is supported by the shaft itself. A rubber tether is included to keep the encoder from rotating. This tether should be used instead of a solid mounting so the encoder can wobble somewhat if necessary. An adapter cable is available to attach to the stub cable I show on the earlier reply.

As far as the pin numbers: They would be the same for both models and would be consistent with a Raven flow meter. With that being said there may be a problem that I'm unsure about. The Raven shaft encoders and flow meters are obviously designed to be used with a Raven display such as a 440 or the like. They would plug in and work as expected. However there may be a problem in using a shaft encoder with the Ag Leader module where there isn't when using a flow meter with the Ag Leader module.

These devices work on the principal that the signal line is shorted to ground and then released as the turbine or shaft turns. It is vital that the signal line crisply returns to the higher normal voltage after it is released from ground. With a Raven system there is a "pull-up" resistor in the display that helps this. There is also a "pull-up" resistor in a Raven flow meter as well. As I recall there is no "pull-up" resistor in the shaft encoder (this is the part I'm fuzzy about). This means that either one will work with a Raven display since the display handles the pull up.

However with the Ag Leader module I don't believe there is a built in "pull-up" resistor. This means that the Ag Leader module works fine with a flow meter (like I use) since it has a "pull-up" resitor in the flow meter. It may not work well with a Raven shaft encoder since there may not be a "pull-up" resistor anywhere.

If the above is the case, then the solution is to provide a "pull-up" resistor in the adapter cable. It is simply a resistor (10K) that goes between the power source and the signal line. When the signal line is grounded by the encoder the signal value goes to 0. When the encoder releases the signal line from ground, it crisply returns to the higher voltage. This is very similar to the action of the spring on an old baler counter. The spring returns the arm to a normal state so it can count the next bale. I hope this hasn't confused the issue but it may be necessary.

In other words just cutting off the ends and butt connecting the wires together may not work reliably.

According to my notes: Pin 1 of the Deutsch connector is 5V out. Pin 5 of the Deutsch connector is the signal line and Pin 8 of the Deutsch is Ground. Pin 2 would be a 12V source that could be used instead of Pin 1.

http://www.spraysmarter.com/raven-precision-granular-encoder-180-cp...

https://support.agleader.com/kbp/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=821

Edited by tedbear 1/4/2018 09:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)