AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kee ZYNX and Farmscan Farmlap 5500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DGJ
Posted 4/7/2006 19:19 (#3472 - in reply to #3439)
Subject: RE: Kee ZYNX and Farmscan Farmlap 5500

Russ
First the disclaimer, we distribute Agleader & Trimble in the UK.

The one problem I have with a windows or open format Pc controlling Autosteer, Sprayer or Autoboom control are the consequences when something goes wrong. eg. Microsoft XP suffering one of it's glitches or slow downs.

If this happens while I'm working on my desktop it doesn't really have any effect, I simply wait for it or reboot, If XP does this when it's in control of the steering or rate control etc then what happens if i slow the vehicle down at the same time? does it massively overdose? same thing if it was in control of the steering, because you are reliant on one processor then the more things that it has to control the slower it gets.

Add to this the fact you can load up any windows compatible software & a year or two down the line you have a system that could be reduced to a crawling pace or needing a number of critical updates as well as being a target for malicious attacks. (Virus)

My preffered solution is something proprietry like the Insight for the important control operations & possibly take a look at the new XP based hand held devices for the sampling/non critical applications.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)