AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble autosense output
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

co2shaun
Posted 12/15/2017 21:29 (#6432082)
Subject: Trimble autosense output

NW KS
Does a Trimble autosense output the same single as most other angle sensors? As I recall the navII shows a voltage output for the angle sensor in the diagnostics when using an auto sense. Hypothetically could you use it in place of another brand of angle sensor provided you ran a power wire of the proper voltage to the autosense? Or does it require information from the navII to function?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
raider2b
Posted 12/15/2017 21:54 (#6432144 - in reply to #6432082)
Subject: RE: Trimble autosense output

North Dakota
I don’t believe it could be used anywhere but a nav2. When watching the voltage of an autosense it reads about 2.5 volts all the time. When turning right it goes up slightly, up to 2.6 volts maybe and turning left it goes down. When you stop turning it returns to 2.5, even if the tractor is still turned to the left. I am sure all that it has inside are an accelerometer and gyroscope.

We cut one apart to se what was inside, just an electronic board contained in epoxy. When we asked what was inside we were told it is P.F.M.
torn
Posted 12/15/2017 23:07 (#6432256 - in reply to #6432082)

roaming
co2shaun - 12/15/2017 20:29

Does a Trimble autosense output the same single as most other angle sensors? As I recall the navII shows a voltage output for the angle sensor in the diagnostics when using an auto sense. Hypothetically could you use it in place of another brand of angle sensor provided you ran a power wire of the proper voltage to the autosense? Or does it require information from the navII to function?

2 issues:
1. It does output a voltage, but it is a variable voltage based on the feedback from the gyro and accelerometer, and is based on deviation from a constant heading. In other words, it is relative feedback (more voltage or less voltage based on how quickly and how much the heading is changing), not absolute (x voltage = y angle)

2. You have to have GPS so that there is a heading. Without a heading, the autosense can't detect if it is deviating from the heading. Having GPS sounds obvious for autoguidance, but there are guidance systems that don't use GPS, or that allow operation if GPS is temporarily lost. Autosense wouldn't work in these kinds of systems.
co2shaun
Posted 12/15/2017 23:43 (#6432288 - in reply to #6432256)

NW KS
Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that they were fairly specific to trimble's system only. The autosense sure makes for an easy installation of a wheel angle sensor and they are fairly robust.
torn
Posted 12/15/2017 23:59 (#6432298 - in reply to #6432288)

roaming
co2shaun - 12/15/2017 22:43

Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that they were fairly specific to trimble's system only. The autosense sure makes for an easy installation of a wheel angle sensor and they are fairly robust.

Yep. Biggest limitations are very slow speed operation (hard to determine a heading at slow speeds) and the need for GPS (which is only a limitation in some applications).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)