AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is FBN a threat to retail?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Outdoor Dave
Posted 12/13/2017 12:29 (#6426292 - in reply to #6425881)
Subject: RE: Is FBN a threat to retail?

SE Nebraska

The way they are a threat is that they provide product at a price, but no service. Most farmers look to retailers for service. What it is going to do is force retail to charge a la carte for a lot of the services covered by chem markups. Need an agronomist to come out and look at a field? $$$$/hr. Need chem programs developed, $$$$ per acre/hr. Need a weigh wagon to check yield monitor? $$$$ an hour. Need soil samples pulled? $$$$ beyond the testing charge. Split billing with landlords? $$$$ an invoice. Need a copy of invoices for tax time? $$$$ a page. It goes on an on as to the "little" things retailers do for no specific charge that people take for granted. Need a chem rep to come out for a claim? Call the website and let them do the work.

I have been on both sides of the counter for a long time. I can't count how many times I have been called to bring stuff home on my way, to open up on a Saturday or Sunday and let someone get a jug or two of whatever. Had returns dropped off in my barn with a note as to who they were from, ask me to drag an empty buggy with me on my way back to work, come out on a weekend to look at a field, etc. Don't mind doing it, but if you are going to chisel every dime out of chem margins, extra services are going to have to be charged for.

Nothing is every "free". The costs are figured in somewhere.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)