AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I rent the land out?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/13/2017 00:28 (#6425393 - in reply to #6423010)
Subject: RE: Should I rent the land out?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Indrtfmr - 12/11/2017 19:26

They have to chop no matter what the condition is . I've seen them chop wet ground where they drag trucks around and do damage to the soil where it takes years to get it back in shape. Also putting manure on in bad condition can also damage soil. If you want to rent to them look at what they farm and see if the fields look like there isn't compaction or water holes from working it wet.

Row crops here get dug regardless of conditions sometimes. Not uncommon to be wet enough during harvest trucks will go down. Not to mention the fact that there is more truck traffic and heavier than any silage operation. I'd say ruining it for years is one hell of a stretch.

Might have to invest in a ripper, but if done in the fall you'll never see the difference in the next years crop.

As far as renting it out, knowing your costs is important always, but is absolutely necessary in this case. I rent ground out regularly, mostly for rotation, but with hay prices down it makes me more money. You wouldn't think so initially, but it costs way more to grow and harvest a crop than most people think.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)