AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can an Insight control an Ontrac 3?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/9/2017 07:57 (#6416441 - in reply to #6416013)
Subject: RE: Can an Insight control an Ontrac 3?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
caseihfarmer - 12/8/2017 20:58

usually you had to change agleader display cables with the seasons. I am certain an insight display cable will not work with an integra and ontrac3 if the cable was new when the insight was bought new. you need can b on the display cable. I am not aware of any such thing in the insight days.

that's not to say you have a way newer display cable then your insight. post a pic or get the part number and someone here can likely tell you its a go or no.

I agree as I'm in somewhat the same situation with my combine. I have had Insights since they were new and have moved the cable when I traded the combine for a newer model. Once the cables were installed in a combine they were not moved only when I traded.

That means my current 9770 had an Insight in it with a very old display cable. This was fine since no steering was involved on the combine. I now have an InCommand 1200 in that combine for harvest. To put the InCommand 1200 in, I was able to use the Ag Leader adapter cable that blends the two connectors into one. This worked fine, again no steering was involved. The adapter cable blended the second connector into the style used in the past. However there are no mates for the blended pins to mate with for steering.

Now I'm considering going with SteerCommand steering by moving an InCommand 1200, ECU and 6500 GPS from a tractor to the combine for harvest. I believe this will require trading in the adapter cable that I am using, removing the old original Insight display cable and replacing it with a current InCommand display cable. This new cable will have the branch OUT to go to the SteerCommand ECU whereas my original display cable did not.

I believe another combination that should work would be to remove the Insight display cable, replace it with a newer one from an Integra and use the adapter.

To clear the issue more or possibly confuse it more, consider my 8310R tractor with steering. When I bought it, I had an Integra installed with GeoSteer. That display cable was new at that time and does have the branch OUT to go to GeoSteer or SteerCommand. When that tractor got switched to an InCommand and SteerCommand the adapter cable to to Integra display cable worked fine. The adapter cable blended the two connectors into one and this time the display cable had the wires in it to go to the ECU.

I was discussing this with my salesmen just this week. The adapter cable is listed as being able to mate with a "legacy" display cable which is true but the legacy cable can be of different types which confuses the issue. Some legacy cable will have the branch OUT needed for steering and others not.

Edited by tedbear 12/9/2017 12:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)