AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa DOT thread below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 12/6/2017 23:14 (#6411624)
Subject: Iowa DOT thread below

It was a good discussion, but probably a bit too heated. May have saved my bacon, though.

I was going to comment early on about my own pickups and cattle trailer being legal without a CDL but bit my tongue because I wasn't sure. Well, it turns out I was legal until I bought a 1 ton truck this summer and registered it as non-commercial 12000GVW. Seemed to make sense since that weight was the closest weight range to what was printed on the door panel. My gooseneck trailer has farm plates and I thought that it was registered for 14000GVW and was going to say how it was fine because the combined gross vehicle weight was 26,000. Went and checked the stickers on the farm plates from about a decade ago and nope, I had registered the trailer for 15,000GVW. Farm plates are only 12,000, 15,000, or higher in MN. Pulling it with my new pickup tagged at 12,000 would require a CDL (27,000GVW combined). Went to the DMV this morning and reduced the GVW on the trailer so I could pull it with my new pickup and it cost me $3 for the new sticker for the trailer plate. Would have probably cost me thousands if I had been stopped. And I do haul all my cattle into Iowa.

I had been pulling it with my 3/4 ton truck before that and that would have been fine (as in no fines).

Edited by tjdub 12/6/2017 23:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)