AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble RangePointRTX vs Glonass
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

catmendoo
Posted 12/6/2017 22:05 (#6411505)
Subject: Trimble RangePointRTX vs Glonass

Northern edge Mahnomen County
Is there a difference between having a RangePoint RTX subscription or having the Glonass unlock? I am looking for highest quality signal for tiling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
torn
Posted 12/6/2017 22:22 (#6411552 - in reply to #6411505)
Subject: RE: Trimble RangePointRTX vs Glonass

roaming
catmendoo - 12/6/2017 21:05

Is there a difference between having a RangePoint RTX subscription or having the Glonass unlock? I am looking for highest quality signal for tiling.

RangePoint RTX includes GLONASS for the duration of the subscription. When your RP subscription expires, you no longer have GLONASS.

GLONASS by itself doesn't do anything for accuracy; the advantage of GLONASS is better satellite availability, which translates into fewer times when you're stopped because you don't have enough satellites.

RangePoint RTX is a correction signal, meaning that it increases the accuracy of your system over operating on uncorrected GPS (or even uncorrected GPS + GLONASS).
Dogface1SG
Posted 12/7/2017 13:07 (#6412625 - in reply to #6411552)

NW Ohio
And you need RTK for vertical accuracy of tiling. GLONASS is just a bonus of more satellite availability.
catmendoo
Posted 12/7/2017 15:48 (#6412906 - in reply to #6412625)

Yep. Already running RTK and use RTX for steering operations that we don’t want to setup a base station for. Just curious if Glonass adds accuracy. According to torn’s explantion, RTX should be more accurate than adding Glonass.
Dogface1SG
Posted 12/7/2017 16:22 (#6412958 - in reply to #6412906)

NW Ohio
GLONASS is just more WAAS satellites but, it allows you to run when you are next to a woods. It about doubles your satellite availability. Go to Trimble GNSS planning (http://www.trimble.com/GNSSPlanningOnline/#/Settings), either enter your Lat/Lon or click on pick and find yourself on the world, change the timeframe you are going to be working and see how many sats you have with and without.
Herbie56
Posted 12/7/2017 18:05 (#6413146 - in reply to #6412958)

Coles County, Illinois

At present level of technology, in the USA, and locked into a WAAS correction, Glonass unlock does nothing. WAAS does not provide any correction data for Glonass sats. It's when you get a subscription service or your own RTK base station (provided it receives Glonass) that the extra sats make your positioning solution more robust.

torn
Posted 12/7/2017 21:01 (#6413682 - in reply to #6412906)

roaming
catmendoo - 12/7/2017 14:48

Yep. Already running RTK and use RTX for steering operations that we don’t want to setup a base station for. Just curious if Glonass adds accuracy. According to torn’s explantion, RTX should be more accurate than adding Glonass.

Careful - I missed the part of your post about tiling.

RangePoint RTX is in no way acceptable for tiling. You need local radio RTK for tiling or anything else requiring vertical accuracy. Some are having success with cellular RTK, but I would recommend radio.

CenterPoint RTX is much better than RangePoint RTX for horizontal applications, but still isn't acceptable for vertical work.

Both RangePoint and CenterPoint RTX signals utilize GLONASS. RTK corrections may or may not utilize GLONASS, depending on the system. If the base station uses GLONASS, then the rover must use GLONASS, and if the base doesn't, the rover must not. It's both or neither.
catmendoo
Posted 12/7/2017 22:16 (#6413907 - in reply to #6413682)

I am running my own base station for RTK and tiling. I only use RangePoint for steering applications(seeding, spraying, fertilizer application). I use RangePoint because there isn't a local network within range and I don't want to set up a base station every time I change fields. I was asking about Glonass to see if it would be beneficial to add to the RTK. From what I've learned so far, I think it costs more than it's worth. Sorry if I confused the issue.
gpsdude
Posted 12/7/2017 22:56 (#6413979 - in reply to #6413907)

NE South Dakota Clark, SD
I recommend GLONASS for any vertical application, especially as far north as you are. It won't hurt and in some instances it will help. The way I look at it is what do you have invested in equipment for tiling, then add the cost of installing the tile and the cost of the tile itself. Remember this tile if installed correctly should last several generations. On one 100 acre tile project at 40 foot spacing, it will cost you 2.3 cents per foot. Hopefully you get more than 100 acres done.

Just my 2.3 cents.

Edited by gpsdude 12/7/2017 22:57
Dogface1SG
Posted 12/8/2017 05:55 (#6414106 - in reply to #6413907)

NW Ohio
What base do you have? If it is a 542 it is very easy to save and store base locations and use them with the Autobase.
Dogface1SG
Posted 12/8/2017 06:00 (#6414115 - in reply to #6413146)

NW Ohio
Sorry, my above WAAS statement wasn't intended that way, it was rather vague. I was trying to convey that it just gives more satellites when using RTK/RTX making it more "robust". It makes a huge difference when tiling by a woods.
Herbie56
Posted 12/8/2017 06:24 (#6414144 - in reply to #6413979)

Coles County, Illinois
I think gpsdude does have a point though. In short baseline situations and measuring vertical position the trigonometry changes. Instead of fairly low inclination sats giving the best solutions one needs the sats to be fairly high in the sky. The probability of having sats with high inclination drops considerably. There's just not as much space up there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)