AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chocolate milk back in schools
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

CenturyMalt
Posted 12/6/2017 21:35 (#6411411 - in reply to #6410734)
Subject: RE: chocolate milk back in schools

NE Wisconsin
I can give you the names of a number of places doing small herd direct cream line bottling all over the states. They are making it work, but it has its own challenges.

Raw in the north east, vat pasteurized in the places where thats required, there is also a small scale HTST pasteurizer out there near New York thats selling a lot. Debacker (sp) farms in upper michigan does milk and ice cream.

The real trick is marketing you milk. You go from being a farmer to a public relations/marketer. Also sucks to match how much milk you have and how much you are selling. Places I worked at made cheese with the extra, or did cream, ect.

Rules and reg depend on the states. A good vat pasteurizer is $$ (50k+) Bottling line is north of 50k for a cheap one, lots of stainless and pumps. I was told to expect to spend north of 250k to have a legal bottling plant. On your bottle blowing side, we just found a plastic bottle provider that was about an hour away and bought as needed, had dry/clean storage for about 4 weeks of bottling. Bottling making plant was actually on the milk delivery route so you could pick up on the way back to the farm.

cost 0.27$/bottle, 0.03$ a cap, 0.02$ a label if i recall correctly. Going off what my accounting/farming friend told me a long time ago, figure a buck for packaging, and a buck for delivering.

Edited by CenturyMalt 12/6/2017 21:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)