AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AGCO GTA - Open Data Exchange
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

vrfer
Posted 9/26/2006 19:46 (#46901 - in reply to #46603)
Subject: RE: BIG News

Considering the long term significance of these developments to more efficient farm management (and the failure of the AEA shapefile initiative some years ago) universal ISOBUS and FODM/FODD compliance may be the golden bullet that puts PF on the map as a standard management tool.

It’s refreshing to see a few small companies and a third ranking major iron manufacturer (AGCO) taking these concepts to market in real terms. Truly this package offers something for everyone and not just a set of specialized features that appeal only to those at the leading edge of PF field methods or to the users of a specific brand of equipment. These concepts are directed at the business of farming and this is where PF must go to become broadly accepted and widely implemented.

These developments complicate equipment decision making for farmers however as now we need to ask ourselves how important is this new level of functionality to us. It’s very important in many obvious business respects and also in areas we don’t give much thought to such as forensic analysis. For example this level of detail available through ISOBUS and FODM/FODD technology could easily provide the evidence necessary to support potential non-performance or injury claims associated with the various products we use on a farm or provide evidence where claims are made against us.

It seems that Mapshots, Farmworks and AGCO have been the leaders in these pivotal developments. Congratulations and thank you to each of you. Collectively, you’ve made me question the brands of equipment and software I currently use on my farm.

Dennis
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)