AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4 Machines, 2 Colors. Fieldview?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

NOCO_Farmer
Posted 12/4/2017 13:55 (#6406101 - in reply to #6404520)
Subject: RE: 4 Machines, 2 Colors. Fieldview?

NE Colorado
It almost feels like we need someone, but in this area with serious dryland farming (less than 15 inches of precipitation a year), every penny has to be pinched. What I am trying to use it for is to better manage our fields. For the machines side, not really. We calibrate multiple times, with the scale in the cart, then also cal loads sent in semis, and finally with what the fields actually made as we run the scale tickets during harvest. The only issue with that is the green machine that runs with us where he isn't our actual employee, and I don't know that machine at all.

We would do manual VR planting/drilling if one of our main people were in the machines by saying "this hilltop needs a higher rate" or whatever the situation may be. The issue there obviously is even the best person forgets to go back to the default rate, and those changes aren't currently mapped in the drills, and we didn't have the ability to in the planter we had. If it was a person I didn't want changing it, I never even told them how. Also, even though we've had yield monitors for 20+ years, nobody really ever evaluated them. So I am trying to get a lot of things moving at once and evaluate fields, and see if true VR on corn and sunflowers will work for us, and make adjustments, while also being more in depth in evaluating our tests. Due to our limiting factor being moisture, high end management such as grid sampling, doesn't pay off from what we've seen in the past. I am trying to make script maps with 3-4 different zone rates, basically high, average, and low producing areas, and push the yields in our good spots, and not waste inputs in the poor spots, and hopefully make those spots more drought tolerant with lower populations.

I don't think any one program will be the answer, but I also don't want to nickel and dime myself to death with a dozen programs. The reason Fieldview interests me is being able to keep closer tabs on our machines (labor in general is an issue, finding really good labor is another ball game entirely), being able to look and see if we are calibrated close to the same, having another avenue of data transfer because I have made my share of mistakes learning some of this, field health maps, having the overlap control work with multiple machines, and having 1 data format for different colors, all of which seem like nice and beneficial features. As Goose pointed out the best data is the original data, I agree, but backups and simplicity would be HUGE for me, and I would still have the original data on the thumb drives for SMS, or be able to transfer from Fieldview to SMS.

Hopefully this makes sense. Trying to give enough of description for it to be understood, but still be to the point.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)