AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would I be happy with an Ontrac 3 in my combine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

co2shaun
Posted 11/30/2017 21:13 (#6399141 - in reply to #6395902)
Subject: RE: Would I be happy with an Ontrac 3 in my combine?

NW KS
I don’t run agleader but I have run several different trimble setups from the basic ezsteer to the autopilot in the exact same machines and they have all worked well in the combine. Combines seem to hold a fairly close to the line even with a lower end setup. I was always using a straight guidance line through no curves or contours. The closest trimble product that I have used to an ontrack 3 would be the ez-pilot. I believe the performance between the two would similar. The ez-pilot will hold the line will but when you make your turn and come back into the crop you need to be reasonably close to your line. I never found that with was too much of a problem though. You just line the end of your platform up with the previous pass like you were cutting without autosteer and activate the steering system. Going full hydraulic would make this much less of an issue through but it’s not that much of a problem.

What I have found that makes more of a difference than the steering system is the accuracy level of the GPS. WASS works but you will notice the drift. When using WASS I always set the GPS width to a foot less than the header. Even with the header width being set a foot less I still would sometimes have to shift or nude the line one direction or the other. This was even more noticeable if you had to stop for a bit and then start again. I also always felt like the header was crowding to one side or the other and not in the center of the pass. With even the cheapest paid correction services these problems would go away. The platform always looked like it was in the center of the pass and the guidance line was rarely if ever moved. I could also set the guidance with to only six inches under header width. You could probably set the guidance width to the actual header width but I wanted to make sure that no strips were left.

All that said I think you could probably get more of a performance boost from a better correction service rather than going from an ontrack to hydraulic system.

Edited by co2shaun 11/30/2017 21:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)