AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which do you watch?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/28/2017 12:22 (#6393500 - in reply to #6393428)
Subject: RE: Which do you watch?

southern MN
I started with a used P2. No monitor at all, watch the drone to see what it's aimed at, hope you got close when you took out the chip and viewed the movie....

With the P3, I watch the mini iPad screen 97% of the time, I find it so very much easier to fly from the camera perspective than looking over the sky at a little dot. About all I watch directly is landing, when I'm under 100 feet and right overhead.

I have a route I fly over the farm maybe once a week, my yard is in the middle of the farm, can fly to one edge, look around, fly across and look around, fly back to where I took off, and have about 2-4 minutes extra safe battery time. So if I notice something interesting on my route I can spend a little time looking at the point of interest. If I want to see all of the farm from an edge (so the drone is out past my fields, looking back at me) I'm flying close to 3000 feet out.

Pretty familiar with the topography after a while. One corner of the farm is below a ridge of a hill. I can fly off down below that, but I get nervous, and if I fly too low behind that ridge I can lose signal. With practice, the signal gets weak before it goes away entirely, so I can fly up and get back into good signal range pretty easy.

For the most part I fly 350-400 feet high, signal stays pretty strong for that. If I drop down to look at something closer, I am aware of the obstacles around and topography and ready to fly up vertical if any weak signal shows up. And I need to be careful of flying behind the shed to the left, or the trees to the right and behind my take off, need to keep line of sight. I find myself just walking automatically now when I fly into those directions to get to clear open spaces, don't look up either I just know from the screen when I'm in those regions.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)