AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Education.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 11/18/2017 23:18 (#6374476)
Subject: Education.

Beresford, SD
I will never post on stock talk again that there is a set way to start bawlers, or that there is a set protocal. I have not had a vet on my place in 20 years, (other than once to help sow up a bad prolapsed heifer, or to bangs my heifers......and I have never mass treated a set of cattle with a needle in my life!! Well all this changed with my Montana babies. Got off to a great start, 443 head arrived and started (first 5 days perfectly). By day 10 I pulled 2 head, day 11 4 head, day 12 5 head, day 13....1 dead, swore I saw him at the bunk the night before.....pullled 22 head. Day 14, one more dead....pissed off now. Started walking the first pen threw my flag in the air (really pissed off now!), called my neighbor, buddy, mentor and described what I was seeing, he sad call Greg. Called Greg (vet) he posted my second dead.....pasturella! sh!t. Based on his plan of attack that day my wife, son, high school helper and myself ran all 441 (yeah 2 deads....yeah I’m pissy) through the chute in 4.5 hrs. Nasalgen and zuprevo (yeah big bucks). All I can say is WOW, what a turn around. Thought I was heading for a train wreck. (Thanks Greg!) Ended up loosing 3 head total and there are 5 head that look great now but did not a few days ago in the sick pen. These were fully vaccinated one source ranch calves that broke. Vet stated that they responded well because of this.....have not treated a calf since and they are attacking the feed bunk! Thankful I headed the neighbors advise and called Greg! One thing I would change is that I would have given nasalgen off the truck and I probably wouldn’t have lost the 3 I did.

Edited by carlsoncl 11/18/2017 23:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)