AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye this late, what would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/18/2017 12:35 (#6373154 - in reply to #6372706)
Subject: RE: Cereal rye this late, what would you do?

southern MN
Up in my cold climate, I would ask that question every single year? Probably why there are very few cover crops in the conventional corn/soy, growing season is done when we harvest. Then in spring we are typically planting corn before anything greens up, planting corn with frost still in the ground any more. Used to be we waited until end of first week of May, but now there isn't any spring green up, just go go go.

I see a lot in small grains and canning crops, lot more the past 5 years. But that is still very small acres.

I've always put in a legume and maybe a brassica with my small grains for decades; but that is 5-15 acres a year big whoop.

I threw a bag of cover mix in the spinner when I put on urea at knee high corn on a 9 acre oops this year, obviously not to accomplish anything but see what it did. Got some nice brassicas in this very wet year, didn't see much at all of the other species in the mix designed for such application. Not sure how that would work in a drier late summer. Was nice to see something show.

Enjoy these threads and ideas, even if I sit mostly on the sidelines due to climate.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 11/18/2017 12:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)