AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye this late, what would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cbellfarms
Posted 11/18/2017 08:52 (#6372706)
Subject: Cereal rye this late, what would you do?

NW IL, Mercer County
Late harvest, short on labor. Long story short, sitting here today with only 1/3 of my acres with cover crop on. At this point, I’m going to forget the rest of my bean stubble because I plan on killing it mid-April. Luckily the majority of acres I have rye on is bean stubble. Stuff seeded this late last fall got 6” and that was with a perfect scenario winter and early spring.

It doesnt look like ground conditions will allow me to run my planter anymore this fall. So, beings that all the crop residue is now pinned to the ground, would you risk just broadcasting into corn stalks and letting mother nature do the rest? I have talked to a neighbor about running a turbo till across to work it in but the forecast doesnt look good for that either.

Stalks ahead of beans, I would be planting green into the rye and spraying after, late april to mid may.

I guess my main question from all this gibberish is do you think I will get a good enough stand at this point in corn stalks by broadcasting with pinned down residue to make it worth my time and effort??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)