AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side Loading a Lowboy followup. (V8 cat and Versatile magic within)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 11/17/2017 19:15 (#6371775)
Subject: Side Loading a Lowboy followup. (V8 cat and Versatile magic within)

NW KS/ SC ID
Hey all,

We went after the lowboy yesterday. (Talked about in this thread https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=743817&posts=1...)

The previous owner wouldnt pick up his phone (my fault, I gave him no timeline and called ahead the day of when we were already half way there) so we didnt get a tutorial, nor felt very confident about dropping the neck due to a dangling air hose that I think was for the right pin release, so we ended up side loading.

On the way up, my suspicions about getting nailed by the DOT were confirmed, the crafty turds had the portables set up north of Seibert CO on highway 36, so the buddy's 1979 KW W900a Extended Hood got ran through a DOT inspection, and thankfully he takes care of things better than us, and it did not get put out of service, so we took our warning for the high beam headlight and one tail light being out, and went on our merry way. Had we taken one of our trucks, I am certain it would have been out of service and had a fine. :)

In his excitement to hitch up, he promptly knocked it off the blocks before I could go check and see if it had maxi chambers or not. (It didnt. :) ) so with manipulation of blocks and the dump valve, we got it lifted off the frame a few inches and was able to get under it.

We show up to the Steiger, and it was lighter than I thought, it was just a little Bearcat with a 3160 Cat V8 (forerunner of the 3208) and 28L26 single tires. Unfortunately the starter was inoperative, so unless we wanted to try pull starting it with the semi, we were a little out of luck. Behold, there was a 145 Versatile with the 504 V8 Cummins available for pulling, so we were able to pull start the little Bearcat, and attempt to drive it on the truck.

The reason the Bearcat was so cheap was the front axle has issues, so the driveline was pulled and she was 2wd, and a 2wd Steiger doesnt climb on trucks well, so luckily the Versy came in handy again, and we pulled on the drivers side of the trailer, and due to a low left front tire (had calcium rotten stem, so we were not about to add air) it about slid off the truck. So with careful feathering of the clutch to keep it steady, my buddy kept the Steiger where it was at, and I switched to the other side of the trailer and pulled diagonal across the deck, and up she came, and he straightened it out, and it was centered pretty well on the trailer, so we called it good, boomed down, and then headed for home.

The 3408 DI was not letting the roadranger have a break, so the tranny temp was at 250, but never got worse, so to beat daylight we kept on it, and made it home around dark. didnt lose a tire on anything, and the new trailer towed like a dream. So all and all I would call it a successful day.

The pics show our block magic. I wanted to support the frame so we didnt stress it, so we had the blocks slid under with about a half inch gap with the suspension fully dumped, and when the tractor was on, it was putting a decent amount of weight on the blocks, and once aired up, it rose off the blocks. Honestly I didnt even see the frame flex at all, so I think it was just a walk in the park for the trailer.

The blocks stayed properly stacked for the front axle, but a little too much clutch engagement and wheel spin to get the back up kicked some blocks out, luckily the back end was substantially lighter.

Edited by GM Guy 11/17/2017 19:23

(IMG_20171116_142034_733.jpg)

(IMG_20171116_142008_078.jpg)

(IMG_20171116_142011_603.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20171116_142034_733.jpg (95KB - 72 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20171116_142008_078.jpg (124KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20171116_142011_603.jpg (137KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)