AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS 6500 into IPad and AgFiniti
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/18/2017 10:19 (#6372877 - in reply to #6371494)
Subject: RE: GPS 6500 into IPad and AgFiniti

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I bought, tried and returned a Bad Elf product for use with my iPad. The product I tried plugged into the lightning port and became an external GPS which the iPad used instead of its internal GPS. I was going to use it with my iPad Pro for more accurate GPS.

The Bad Elf product has a cable that passed charging through the device to charge the iPad. I had to remove my Otterbox case as the Bad Elf couldn't mate with the iPad with the case on. It would have been possible to leave the case on by using a lightning extension between the Bad Elf and the iPad.

The product did work but I was not happy with it. If I was driving around in my Ranger with only the skeleton cab (no doors, roof panel etc.), it did give better GPS results. If I carried the iPad to the combine with a complete cab, the GPS results were worse than using the built in iPad's GPS.

I did not have a lightning extension cable at the time so I didn't try using the Bad Elf with it. This might have allowed me to have the Bad Elf outside in those situations with a cab.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-GPS-Lightning-Connector/dp/B00G2BX616...

I do have three tractors with 6500's in them and have considered buying the $350 cable that you mention but so far have not done so. I just use Ag Finit in its very basic sense and don't subscribe to the cloud arrangement. My use is to transfer planting, spraying and harvesting information directly from my InCommands to the iPad.

I do not get involved with my own soil sampling but I can see how having a good GPS source would be desirable for that. I'd be interested in a cheaper alternative to use the 6500 as well.

Edited by tedbear 11/19/2017 09:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)