AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull criteria ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Macttle
Posted 11/17/2017 14:30 (#6371272 - in reply to #6371146)
Subject: RE: Bull criteria ?

Part of the world is irrelevant,,
You want bragging rights or $$$? Want in between ?

This is funny cus just yesterday I ran into a friend that was really impressed with his WW, 6** something... I don’t bite my tongue much (it hurts) I had to laugh, these are top of the line in the AI catalog type and he does a pile of AI - nothing wrong with this one bit but I’m thinking to myself I got some ragtag cow with a 500# calf(50%) right now on it’s side born 2 months later than this... my cow didn’t receive hay last winter until mid March then lived on crap wire grass and fescue hay til September, I’m thinking I gave up some ww this summer, cause once I got em to grass (weighed 410 across str/hf September) I may be under shooting them and hit 600 by weaning in a couple weeks. IDK

Some are born with a cow herd some are dumb enough to think they want one - Im the latter

But I prefer bulls with no grain in there past, good growth, eye appeal,

Just last summer sold a 10 yo ohlde bull that I bought as a 8 yo that lived on a ranch that is sandy and rough, guy doesn’t pamper crap, hadn’t fed hay for 3-4 years til this spring, I’m talking foot of snow and he dumps em to the brushy river bottom and let’s them survive, he always seems to have bulls making it to 6-7-8-9
Cows will cull faster, I bought some 10-13 yo cows off him in spring 13’ I got a calf off them and sold to a farmer, 70-80% he still has, said he’s gonna sell this summer after getting one more calf (he feeds a lot of ddg/milo, wheat pasture etc)
So his cows have longevity they just fall apart in his system, him nor the farmers system is wrong just different.
Edit - I shouldn’t say fall apart , 10-12 is not falling apart, but his cows have longevity past that, he’s just not gonna separate the herd and he’s not gonna feed everything what the older ones need, some things I disagree with him on but overall on the scale he’s running I really think he’s on the right path

Edited by Macttle 11/17/2017 14:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)