AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I just paid seed bill for the year..........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 11/17/2017 12:22 (#6371068 - in reply to #6371011)
Subject: RE: I just paid seed bill for the year..........

C IL
I was thinking about that, too. Had really stellar yields this year, but the slice of the pie the seed industry wants is stubborn to correct.

Lowering prices only a few % after several stable-ish pricing years when crop revenues are down a third or more from the highs when those seed price plateaus were reached - well, I'm slow to learn but changes must be forthcoming. The fertilizer sector prices have come down to what, 40-50% of the highs?

I like my seed guys, they are excellent fellows, but eventually economic forces are going to upset this apple cart. Maybe someone with more insight into this can tell explain the value of this higher priced seed to me. Not a rant, I just don't understand the pricing.

I am planning an on-farm plot for next year, maybe that will prove we are doing the right thing with expensive seed. I will say this - I sat in the combine and watched a new hybrid run the table on the vaunted Monsanto hybrid branded as Agrigold 6499/ LG 5618/whatever. So I think there are returns to the breeding/trait work, but I'm not sure I'm capturing enough of the value on the producer side to keep doing this?

I guess I need to take myself off to the FIRST trials and become familiar with that Epley's site.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)