AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Contract feeding hogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

fpr2006
Posted 11/14/2017 09:32 (#6364311 - in reply to #6363977)
Subject: RE: Contract feeding hogs

SW Minnesota
I guess we just get tired of talking to a wall. This topic gets talked about here every other month. Usually the same crap comes up:
1)THE BARN IS GOING TO BE SHOT BEFORE IT IS PAID FOR. That is stupid they will have more repairs than in the early years but they are a lot better than making repairs on a new barn.
2)YOU NEED TO OWN YOUR PIGS IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ANY MONEY. Of the ones guys I know of that started i the last 20 years planning to do this the vast majority of them have went to custom feeding because the margins were nonexistent or so inconsistent they said it wasn't worth it.
3)YOU ARE JUST GOING TO BE AN EMPLOYEE.TAKING ORDERS SOMEONE OR SOME CORPORATION. That's life through out your farming career you are going to be having all kinds of people trying to tell you what to do. Bankers, the government, landlords and wife to name a few.
4) PIGS STINK THEY ARE HARD WORK AND THEY TIE YOU DOWN That may be I guess I am so used to it I thought ti was life. Except for 5 years away at school I have always had livestock chores. I'm 61 I still part of the load loading crew and will be for a while.
IF WE COULD GET CONTRACT ON A NEW BARN CLOSER TO $50/PIG SPACE PER YEAR MY SON WOULD PUT ON UP.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)