AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wifi range extender
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/5/2017 07:37 (#6346357 - in reply to #6345859)
Subject: RE: wifi range extender

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We're in somewhat the same situation. My Great nephew installed an IP camera in the dryer shack that is pointed at the dryer panel and some bin level indicator lights that I made. The shack is some distance from his house so he bought a WiFi extender for the dryer shack. The camera is plugged into the extender which is plugged into a 110 VAC outlet in the dryer shack. The extender has two short antennas on it to communicate wirelessly with the router in his house.

The router in the house puts the video feed on the internet. My Great nephew and I each have smartphones with a free App provided by the camera company. This allows either of us to view the dryer display as long as we have internet access. If I am at home this comes through my WiFi in my home. When we are away from a WiFi connection, our phones communicate via cell data.

For the most part this works very well but is not 100% reliable. At certain times, the App shows that it is attempting to connect but fails. I'm thinking that the weak link may be the WiFi extender as there are some bins blocking the direct line of sight. Possibly another style of WiFi extender with an external antenna might make this more reliable.

Just this morning with the time change, I woke up early (rain again) and checked the dryer on my iPhone from bed. I noticed they dryer had shut down so I called my Great nephew and he investigated. The next time I checked it was running again indicating that he got it restarted. This is also very helpful for us to see the bin level indicator light bar I made. Since he and I are often both in field for harvest, we can check the bin levels to help make decisions.

Edited by tedbear 11/5/2017 08:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)