AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PC Mars question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 11/11/2017 08:04 (#6358215 - in reply to #6340616)
Subject: RE: PC Mars question

We use the desktop version of Quickbooks on 4 different computers by storing the files on DropBox. We have a group texting thread where anyone who uses Quickbooks will text the following info when they are finished:

Last date the file was changed
Last time the file was changed
File size

So when anyone starts working in Quickbooks, they can look at that group thread and see who used it last and they can see what the current file size should be so they know if the Dropbox app on their computer has updated properly.

It's not a perfect method. There have been a few times where I have gotten into Quickbooks on my laptop and then forgotten to close out and update the thread. Then a few weeks later (busy during harvest), I open my laptop and realize what happened. At that point I disconnect my laptop from the internet, close Quickbooks, delete everything from my DropBox while I'm not connected and then find out which of the other computers is off but with the latest file on it. Then you start that computer without an internet connection, make a local backup, make a copy of the DropBox folder and then delete everything out of DropBox. Finally you restore from the local backup on the computer with the most current version. Now that computer is the last to edit DropBox so when the others get online they'll all have the correct copy.

I don't see why this would not work with PC Mars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)