AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for a newer combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 10/26/2017 11:12 (#6328473 - in reply to #6328364)
Subject: RE: Looking for a newer combine

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

I throw Gleaner in the ring again too. If an 8010 will have a 1/3 of the parts of the Lexion, the Gleaner will have a 1/3 less than the 8010. I would think you could easily get into an a 2 series or a 5 series, maybe even a 6 series if youre wanting it for 100K with trade in.

When youre looking for Gleaners, I would only look at 01 and up 2 series, they were basically the 5 series. A custom harvester special is the holy grail, everything was chromed as far as wear parts, and they usually had all the features. One with a CDF rotor is prefered if youre corn and beans, they do OK in wheat from what I hear. You can look for one with a turret, sometimes theyll be cheaper because the Gleaner faithful prefer the angled auger, we have a turreted 62 and its the one thing we hate about the machine. Not that its bad or anything, its better built than the others IMHO, but once you have that angled auger youll never want to go back to a turret.

Like someone else said, even if you dont have a dealer nearby its not a big deal, most bearings and belts are common, or can be had next day at NAPA. In the 2 series and early 5 series they had Cummins, either the 8.3 in the 6s and M11 in the 7s. So parts for those are pretty easy, I will caution you that the late 62s had the CAPS system but weve never had a problem with ours. All our augers have been reflighted at my uncles welding shop with common flighting or in some cases sectional flighting. In a standard auger machine there are only 5 augers not counting the distribution augers above the accelerator rolls, 6 in a turret. Also remember its SEVERAL thousand pounds lighter than any other machine, if you engineer something the right way, it can be lighter and still be stronger.  

The best part is the mods, if your handy with a torch and welder, you can do some simple mods to it that will really boost its performance. I could write a whole page on them but I wont.

Our 02 R62 with a CDF and mods will cut 70bu beans all day long at 4+mph (25ft 800 flex head) and losses are extremely small, like way less than "standard" acceptable loss, the only real limit is the terrain and the sickle speed. In corn we can run faster than you care to drive with a 6 row head, never slows it down, in fact the tach rarely drops a few RPM from WOT with everything running. We whole and half cob corn, Id bet most would be whole if it wasnt for the fine cut chopper. In both beans and corn the elevator doesnt have to worry about how clean the sample is. Weve been told some of the beans weve brought in are some of the cleanest theyve ever seen. I wouldnt be afraid of running against any other newer class 6 or most 7 machines in similar conditions. Id be willing to bet that we beat or match them for overall harvesting performance.

If you have any questions feel free to ask   

Edited by berggrenfarms 10/26/2017 11:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)