AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Older Tractors and Precision Ag/GPS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

young_farmer
Posted 10/25/2017 19:48 (#6327332)
Subject: Older Tractors and Precision Ag/GPS

North Carolina
My main goal for implementing guidance is so I can have the capability to till, plant, and spray at night.

Looking at some different options for putting a guidance system on a John Deere 4955 and other 40-series tractors. Not necessarily going to get one just looking into the idea, getting some prices, weighing the pros and cons, etc. I would like this post to serve as a source of advice about a make or model or maybe ones experience with a specific make and model, good and bad. Also some experience and problems faced when implementing guidance systems on older tractors. What should I expect? Will repairs need to be spent on tractor steering units?

I have some criteria's for what I'm looking for or what iv kind of been leaning towards so far

If I go AgLeader
- OnTrac 2, 2+, 3+: I would most likely go with the 2+ or 3+ since iv read a lot of issues were fixed with the 2+. I have no problem going with a used 2+ over a new 3+ for cost reasons and if there really aren't that many more benefits to gain.
- InCommand 800,1200: Really on the fence here... initially want to go with a used 800 for cost reasons. However, do you think it would be better to spend the extra money to gain features that I could utilize in the future if we expand.
- new to guidance and GPS here, what else will I need as well. Receiver, SteerCommand? anything else?

If I go Trimble
- Ez-Steer: kinda skeptical here but have seen them a lot on 40-series tractors. I do like them price wise. Think they are outdated though and have not been improved since they came out IMO
- Receiver/Display: really don't know which way to go here. Trimble offers many screens and I have heard pros and cons of all. I guess my question here is there some benefits I could gain by spending more on a newer one? and in my situation at one point am I paying for features that I cannot utilize because the tractor is older and no other type of precision ag is being implemented.
- What else would I need here? Same as the 3rd AgLeader bullet point

What other routes could I take?? If keep my focus on mainly Trimble and AgLeader because they seem to be the most liked on this forum I think am I narrowing my choices and overlooking other good products? Raven maybe? Also any advice or information on the unlocks would be nice as well. Any and all information, stories, experiences, or anything would be helpful. Looking for stuff specific to older model tractors and people who have ran guidance on older model tractors.

Thanks!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)