AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine speed in high yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 10/22/2017 21:27 (#6321842 - in reply to #6321755)
Subject: RE: Combine speed in high yields

Earlier you said usually you travel "about double" the speeds you're able to attain this year. If that "about double" means 1.75 to 1.8 times as fast as you're able to travel this year and the yield this year is 1.75 to 1.8 times normal then it sounds to me like everything is working about right.

If you have given actual yields, I have missed it. I think that peak yields combined with the speeds you have already mentioned would help guys give you advice one whether you are running your combine at its max potential or not.

I doubt I have nearly as much experience running a combine as you do because custom harvest crews harvest most of our crops but I do have opinions on how to run and set a machine.

I feel that a yield monitor, while a luxury is also a very useful tool for running a combine to capacity. I calibrate the yield monitor first thing. Run the combine at a certain number of bushels per hour for a few hundred feet and then look behind you. If it's clean, go faster for a few hundred feet and go again. Repeat until it gets messy on the ground.

Then try to try to clean it up on the ground by changing settings on the combine. This will usually reduce the quality of your bin sample. I feel one should always have the ugliest sample that you can have without it costing you (cost could be dock from the grain buyer, your own concerns about being able to get air through the grain in storage or just your embarrassing you with how it looks) more than you can bear. After that, try again to find a number of bushels per hour that makes the ground clean behind you.

After you've established the max bushels per hour you can run, drive at a speed that keeps you at maybe 90% of those bushels per hour so if you hit a high yielding area you don't leave a huge mess on the ground before the loss sensors pick it up.

Again, need to make sure you have some calibration loads in this flow rate range so you know you're accurate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)