AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YieldSense moisture sensor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

VMUSA1
Posted 10/22/2017 18:49 (#6321324)
Subject: YieldSense moisture sensor

Illinois Heartland

Have been using YieldSense for the past couple of years now and have been super happy with it except for holding the moisture calibration.

It's installed in a Case 2588 combine that we bought when it was a year old.  It had AgLeader installed in it when we bought it and ran it that way for a couple of years until we couldn't use RTK with it anymore.  Switched it out to Trimble FMX1000.  The guidance worked great, but their yield monitor was junk and we couldn't get any support.  We then switched to YieldSense and kept the Trimble FMX for guidance and GPS signal and it's been working fine except we can't keep the moisture sensor calibrated.

The issue we are having is if we are combining beans that are 13% when we first start running in the day it will read 17% using the previous day's calibration number.  I'll adjust the calibration down 4 points to make it read 13% and it will be ok for about an hour or so.  As the beans drop to say 12% moisture, the monitor will slowly start dropping and will read 9%.  I'll bump the calibration back up 3 points and it will read ok for awhile, then drift off again...sometimes up, sometimes down.  I've tried picking a calibration number about halfway in between and kept it, so it's usually higher than actual when I first start and lower than actual as the day progresses.  Our Precision dealer said that they had some troubles with this last year and have updated their software, but it didn't take care of it.

The moisture sensor is the original analog AgLeader with the 20' pigtail attached.  I've looked it over close and the pin and blade don't look worn...it's only got about 300 hours on it.  I suspect that it may have been damaged when we had it connected to the Trimble for yield as they had the wiring all messed up when they installed it originally and it fried the main Trimble yield module.  

I checked with our Case dealer and it sounds like they have revised the pigtail connection to a short one now and the unit has been updated.  I spoke to our Precision dealer and they are recommending their own unit, but it's a lot more expensive and I can't find any info about it.  They can't even tell me if it goes in the same place as the AgLeader or if I have to cut another hole in the elevator.  

Anyone have experience with this?  I'm planning on buying a new moisture sensor and will probably go with the Precision, but don't want to be cutting more holes in the elevator.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)