AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cotton guys, after harvest stalks question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 10/22/2017 13:57 (#6320884)
Subject: Cotton guys, after harvest stalks question?

South Central Kansas, Harper County
I'm thinking about planting a few acres next spring of cotton back onto this years cotton. How do you handle your stalks? This is all Notill acres. I've seen some local cotton people in the area mow their stalks, but can't remember if they planted cotton back into it or not? I've never mowed my stalks in the past when going to soybeans or grain sorghum, as they were not an issue. But I know they would be an issue with the cotton stripper next year.

Person doing my stripping is from Texas, said they use a Flailer or chopper, and I can't say I know what he's referring? I could mow mine, but I get quickly discouraged thinking about mowing 300-400 acres with my 15' batwing mower. :-)

In the past, prior to being Notill, we used to use a too called a Packer. It had a row of rolling spiked wheels on front gang, some raisable teeth in the middle, and another set of rolling wheels on the back gang. We primarily used it in sandy ground prior to wheat planting and actually in drier years to break up leftover clods from moldboard plowing. I was wandering what that type of tool would do to cotton stalks? I was thinking if a person would raise the center teeth, so only the wheels contacted the ground, on a cold morning in dead of winter, they might break over the stalks? They would be frozen, just curious what might be the result?

Any comments, more than welcome!
Thanks,
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)