AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/Soybeans on the GMO fringe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

vailcat
Posted 10/22/2017 11:53 (#6320703 - in reply to #6320499)
Subject: RE: Corn/Soybeans on the GMO fringe

NCND
I think demand has played a big role in soy expansion. They are super easy to grow compared to all the specialty crops we use to grow. They also have been steady earners here for quite a while.

Corn expansion will be slow because as mb says massive capital requirements. I think corn for a lot of guys over the last 5 years here has been about as profitable as wheat. Maybe... but for next year corn acres will be cut and in their place wheat may fall or just more beans. I prefer growing wheat over corn because less residue to manage and harvest is in august instead of October. That and corn corn is cradle to the grave worry here fornfirst moisture then second frost. That’s just me. Others see it differently too.

I started to see it when we started growing beans 15 years ago but our best wheat was behind beans. Maybe by as much as 15bpa. 50bpa was the happy production level on spring wheat 15 years ago. Today I’m happy at 75-80. 50 is now an insurance claim. One of the biggest or biggest reason for that is soybeans in the rotation imho.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)