AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

American Royal 2017 Picture Heavy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 10/23/2017 02:26 (#6322108 - in reply to #6320881)
Subject: RE: Well Said Few More Pictures.

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Thanks MU for the pics. I don't agree with the type of cattle they use in the show ring. It kind of chaps me when a judge gives his reasons after placing a class when they talk of this is what industry wants. Well I don't see industry buying these type of cattle. But that is my problem. However like others said these kids have been taught to work. I'm sure parents have done a lot of the work too. But I'm betting those kids won't be in drug court, will be going to secondary schooling, will be taking care of families, will be having kids of their own, and will be passing on their family values they have been taught.

I've got a brother-in-law that is what I call a show jockey, he does well on his calves, but along way he helped a lot of kids. He has helped my kids along the way when needed. We have never bought these type of cattle to show, always use ranch raised calves to show. I had to smile my boys learned early on they will never beat a girl with curls in their hair. I vividly remember having that talk with one of my sons after placing reserve champion at the fair, with his way to cute cousin placing Grand champion above him. I said son you better suck it up and learn this lesson right now. Your cousin catches the judges eyes with her looks, sorry son you can't compete with that. It's a fact of life, and it's always going to be that way.

But I told him it will all equal out on sale day. People will see the amount of work you've put into your project and you will be rewarded in the end. So on sale day the proof was in the pudding. When my son sold he exceeded his cousins sale price and add-ons. Next all I remember was his way to cute cousin pouting over my son beating her dollar wise. It has taught my kids to stay the course, work hard, and you will be rewarded in the end. I'm glad they are just now finding that out in life they are being rewarded for staying the course.

You know one of my greatest pleasures in my year is to go to local 4-H FFA livestock sale with around $1,000 or more so dollars of my money or businesses money I bring to auction to bid on kids animals. I can sit their all day and bid those kids up and them dump them on those buyers that have to have their picture on the front page of the local paper. I just love sitting there and reading the crowd, figuring out how far I can push them to pay more. It has become a little hobby of mine that befits the kids that didn't get Grand and Reserve. In fact it just down right tickles me when I and a few others doing the same thing gets the last placed animal very close to the same as #1 and #2 gets. There is a handful of us ranchers that see the benefits of paying it forward to these kids and bidding them up. We keep our local sales prices right up there and make sure all kids get a good return on their investment. That is our key in producing the leaders of tomorrow. Plus I also like having those sale day pictures of those kids and animals I've bought hanging on my shop wall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)