AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight and auto steer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/21/2017 07:58 (#6318805 - in reply to #6318559)
Subject: RE: Insight and auto steer?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Wsparks128 - 10/20/2017 22:52

I have a insight with all the unlocks that I use in my sprayer, and what I've read u can get Trimble auto pilot for steering but all the info I can find is very minimal. Is there other systems thst will work or can someone point me in the right direction to what I need

If your Insight has the auto steer unlock then it is possible to use it with the Trimble auto pilot for steering. The auto steer unlock was one of those $750 unlocks from Ag Leader. The auto steer unlock deals with steering and should not be confused with the auto swath unlock that is used for section control on planters and sprayers.

At the time the Insight was a current model (many years ago now), the auto steering unlock could be purchased which would allow the Insight to interact with a Trimble Nav II for hydraulic auto steering. This was due to an agreement between Ag Leader and Trimble. This agreement was terminated several years ago so it is no longer possible to purchase this unlock. Other Ag Leader unlocks are still available for other features.

I personally had two Insights with auto steer unlocks working with Trimble Nav IIs being fed GPS via Trimbile 332's. When I received word that the unlocks were no longer going to be available my fear was that my systems would have problems after that if I did any updates. Fortunately auto steer continues to work with a steering unlocked Insight even though the agreement was terminated.

The Insight/Nav II combination worked very well. I had Omnistar XP in the GPS on the planting tractor and just used WAAS in another tractor. This summer I participated in the Ag Leader trade up program. Under this program one is able to trade in certain combinations of equipment toward current models. Those tractors that had the Insights in them now have the current Ag Leader InCommand 1200's, Ag Leader 6500 GPS's and SteerCommand.

The Insight was a tremendous display but they are plagued with screen failures and general age. In my situation I wanted to have similar systems on all my equipment and I already had an InCommand 1200 on another tractor. This means that I now have 3 systems that are identical in most respects.

In your case, if you have auto steer unlocked (rather doubtful) you could look for a used Nav II, its steering position sensor and wiring. Depending on the vehicle you may also need a hydraulic valve and hose kit.

This would require some research and may not be a worthwhile approach to getting auto steer. Even though I was very happy with my systems there are other approaches available that may be a better plan.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)