AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best combine for small acres and newbie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 10/19/2017 10:06 (#6316131 - in reply to #6315235)
Subject: RE: Best combine for small acres and newbie

NW KS/ SC ID
diesel06 - 10/18/2017 19:25

I want opinions on what to buy as far as a small combine for less than 200 acres. I know some will say to hire it out but doing that for a decade and it’s always last minute, using too much vacation and weather is always a factor. Looking at getting my own. Would like a 6 row head and 15-20 foot platform. Only real dealer support in area is IH and JD so I’m thinking options are 14 series IH or 20 series JD. Leaning towards the IH due to simplicity to work on. Looking for thoughts opinions and anything else. Budget is around 10 so 16 series IH is out. Thanks.

For less than 200 acres, I imagine you will be doing most of the wrenching, so I would suggest a Gleaner F, M, or L series. You can buy a nice late L2 for well within your price range. Plus, climb in the cab. The L2/L3 was hands down the better cab of the 80s. fast, strong hydraulics, reliable electro-hydraulic controls on everything, and a suspended seat. Yes, 1400 series IH and up through the 90s JD maximizers dont have a seat suspension. That makes for a numb ass at the end of the day. ;)

Since you are under 200 acres, you probably dont have piles of cash to rebuild a combine, so yet another reason to go with a Gleaner, just bearings, belts, and roller chain, no complex gearboxes, etc.

These machines are getting to the vintage that gearboxes might be ready to give out due to previous owner neglect, and they are not cheap. On a Gleaner, worse case you are buying a new shaft if something messes up, and any good blacksmith shop can usually make what you need if you cant find one in a salvage yard or stomach the new price.

IMO upkeep cost is killer on the other brands, they are loaded with special parts that are manufacturer specific, and for under 200 acres you have to ask yourself if you can afford that?

The only NLA part that a Guy might need from Agco is the grain pan, and Abilene machine sells a new one. Raddle chains can still be sourced from Manchester Manufacturing, Manchester OK (I am sure agco still offers new raddles, but the Manchester is better) and if you need new bars, spend 1,000 over what a new set would cost from agco, and get the PFP aftermarket staggered bar enclosed performance cylinder.

Plus, A&I can get many Gleaner parts, and you can buy A&I from your local JD dealer.

Most bearings are super common, and can be sourced from anywhere (Bearing shop, Agco, CIH, JD, etc) . belt idler pulleys are just Don Dye pulleys, and can be sourced from John Deere and Agco. Belts are common widths, and can be bought at any belt store, as well as Agco. there is only 2 or 3 on the whole machine that are special enough you would need to go to Agco for them.

There is alot of online support for the older combines, many old guys on NAT and the combine forum and Yesterdays Tractors Forum are willing to give out advice from their experience back in the day with them, as lets face it, once you are looking at combines 30 years old, the dealer techs dont stand a high chance of knowing whats going on, so rather than pay 100+ bucks an hour to train someone, DIY and save the money.

So in conclusion, I think the NAT myth of "buy the combine that has a dealer nearby" system of thought is ridiculous. Buy the machine that works best for your operation, is cheap to maintain (very important factor with under 3 dollar corn that many seem to ignore) , and is well made, simple, and reliable.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)