AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader TerraStar upgrade
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/14/2017 15:25 (#6307265 - in reply to #6307244)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader TerraStar upgrade

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
mtbrights - 10/14/2017 14:10

We recently tested a 4WD tractor with an Incommand 800 with SteerCommand on it. The steering was OK and comparable, if not as polished as the other (Red) tractor we have with a 372, pro 700 and integrated steering.

Where the 6500 receiver really fell on its face was the drift we were having. I was surprised because I have never dealt with that much drift, which was as much as 3 feet in just a couple of hours. I had clear skies and probably 18-20 satellites to choose from. The red tractor has Rangepoint and was rock solid in the same time frame right in the next field. Are Terrastar C or L (or other iterations) comparable to Rangepoint.

I have three InCommand 1200's and three 6500's. The 6500's are Glonass and TerraStar C unlocked but I only have subscribed to TerraStar C in the planting tractor. The other two 6500's could have a subscription but I chose not to do so because of cost so they operate on WAAS. One of the 1200's was moved to the combine for this year's harvest. The GPS there is an older Raven Phoenix 200 on WAAS that I have used with an Insight for several years.

The only real experience I personally have with TerraStar C was for tillage last year and planting this year. The other two tractors which are using 6500's on WAAS for steering have not been used much so far as they were changed over late this summer. The Phoenix 200 continues to work fine with WAAS in the combine although I haven't gotten much done yet due to weather. TerraStar C worked very well for me (maybe I was lucky) and I have been told that it is much more reliable than Omnistar which I had used for several years.

I am of the opinion that the TerraStar unlock is required for TerraStar C and/or TerraStar L. By participating in Ag Leaders trade up programs, I received both the Glonass and TerraStar unlocks. According to the following link, TerraStar C has better specs than TerraStar L. TerraStar C requires a subscription fee. I'm not certain about TerraStar L. This subscription might be cheaper.

A tech told me that TerraStar L may be a good choice in areas that have problems receiving WAAS. Since I don't have problems receiving WAAS, I plan to stick with it on those tractors.

https://www.novatel.com/about-us/news-releases/news-releases-2016/ne...

Edited by tedbear 10/15/2017 01:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)