AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting cows bred on fescue pasture (update)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

beanplanter
Posted 10/13/2017 11:49 (#6305355 - in reply to #6305268)
Subject: RE: Getting cows bred on fescue pasture (update)

Missouri

puff33m - 10/13/2017 09:35 What is this fescue tolerance test?

It's a T-snip test handled by Geenseek/Neogen for a company called Agbotanica. I believe it stems from research out of the University of Missouri, but I would have to read up on it to be sure who actually collaborated. Some of this research/theory is now being extended into a hair shedding project through a recent ~2 million dollar grant.

I'm not sure how other breeds are delivering the results, but the Shorthorn Association gives you back a number on a scale from 1 to 50 and then gives you a $Fescue index. 1 is a low tolerance and 50 is the highest. The $Fescue index is basically worthless to me because they stacked it on top of $BMI, which I have too many issues with to use. The actual tolerance score has been consistent for me based on the few animals I've tested and pedigree knowledge. I tested a first calf heifer who thinned way down after calving and bred back way later than she should have, she nearly bottomed out the scale.

I'm afraid one of the bulls in the replacement pen is going to come back with a horrific score as well and force me to make a decision.

Edited by beanplanter 10/13/2017 11:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)