AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GMC Topkick 3116 Cat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

4WD
Posted 10/11/2017 20:38 (#6302358 - in reply to #6301854)
Subject: RE: GMC Topkick 3116 Cat (added picture)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

I'm just asking; "Have you changed the CAT 3116 engine's thermostat, yet?"

I've seen the lower disc, of those types of thermostats, get broken, thus some hot coolant goes back to water pump,  (=right back into engine and gets too hot) ; when it should had been 100% routed to the top radiator hose and into the radiator, then that would have created more "heated up air" and thus that "heated air" would then trigger the viscous fan for the engine and "lock up" as normal.

Note: That disc, blocks the coolant bypass tube, as thermostat get closer to maximum opening. When the coolant bypass port is blocked, this "forces" 100% of the hot coolant to be delivered to the upper radiator hose and top of radiator. This function is important. CAT actually called a thermostat a "Regulator" because it is consistently moving (slowly opening and closing) due to coolant temps, and this "regulates" how much coolant goes to radiator and the rest goes back to water pump. Once you get ABOVE maximum opening coolant temp, then 100% of coolant should be diverted to radiator and that disc must close the bypass port, so no "hot coolant" can take a shortcut back to engine (bypass tube). Hot coolant must going thru the radiator first, at those higher temps.(with a properly operating Thermostat/s)

Edited by 4WD 10/11/2017 21:01

(thermostat with lower disc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments thermostat with lower disc.jpg (19KB - 101 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)