AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying a few cover crop plots again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 10/8/2017 20:25 (#6295941)
Subject: Trying a few cover crop plots again

East Central Arkansas

I think 2014 crop year was the last year I planted anything into a cover crop. I had some insect issues that year. One was a pea weevil that came in on the winter peas we planted and the other was stink bug that overwintered on them. One of the reasons I haven't had any the last few years is that I don't have a really good way of planting like I would like. I have a twin row GP set up on 38" and had used it one year to plant some covers using the milo plates.  So this year we planted two small dry land fields to radish and rye and came back and split the middles to have them solid planted. With the milo plates I can only get about 12 lbs of the rye radish mix planted so where I split the middles I will have about 24 lbs ac. A lot of run time and traffic on the field to do that but fields were good and dry so shouldn't have caused too much compaction. We also did another small plot where we had run the paratill down the rows. I made a double pass on those rows running opposite directions. I got some compaction on the first pass to make the second pass plant better and also give me a higher seeding rate. If that comes up and grows I should really get some deep rooted cover growing over that paratill rip. On the paratill fields this year I left out a 4 row pass everywhere my sprayer will run. Hopefully I will be able to run my ground rig instead of a plane for burndown.

(IMG_3439.JPG)

(IMG_3438.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3439.JPG (240KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3438.jpg (245KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)