AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2017 Soybean plot info
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 10/8/2017 08:08 (#6294671)
Subject: 2017 Soybean plot info

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
I have been working on a project for several years that seems to be working. I have been running beans on beans in this field since 2012 with a grass cover based cover crop in the winter to serve as my "rotation". Yields have been steady, disease is actually less.... The university has been watching but wont endorse this... They asked me to do a plot, so I insisted this field. The plot served two purposes... #1 was a cover crop study, looking at biomass and nitrogen credit with my cover crop mixes... #2 was to see if increased populations in heavy cover crop are beneficial or not....

I shoot for 125 to 130,000 in my soybeans, we have been reducing our population over the last few years, and are looking to reduce even more. The varieties I used this year were all Asgrow Extend beans, the one in the plot was 43X6, it looks to be the best variety I picked. The others grew tall, im talking about 48 to 60 inches, but are still standing... I am combining beans now that are 48" tall, yielding in the 60's, where this plot was 30" tall with internodes a couple inches apart... Im starting to get off the subject..... where I was going with this is I feel if my beans were thicker, they would have lodged, thus reducing yields...

I was impressed with the yields, but more so impressed with the stability of beans on beans....I feel sure it would be better to rotate, but in my situation I will have bean on beans every year in various places due to corn not being as profitable... I am lacking storage, and selling out of the field usually reduces profit.

EDIT..... I forgot to add... I do use treated beans, both insecticide and fungicide, but have not applied a foliar fungicide on any beans in the last three years... I scout for disease, and would apply if needed.

Edited by cotncrzy 10/8/2017 08:32

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2016 Giles County Soybean Tests birdsong 2017.xls (161KB - 721 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)