AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Insight Troubleshooting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/9/2017 13:20 (#6297292 - in reply to #6295499)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Insight Troubleshooting

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
Remembrancefarmsllc - 10/8/2017 15:56

Makes sense. That’s a good point.

I may just need to try a new cable. I had removed the cable completely so I had access to both ends at the same time. I tried a number of different combinations with the multimeter, and I still got no reading. It may be user error, but still frustrating.

I did try all three channels doing the adjustment, and still nothing.

Concerning using the multi-meter. I like the meters that make a beep when there is continuity. A regular meter without the beep feature will work as well. If you are uncertain about using the meter for continuity, put it on a low OHM setting and watch the display. It should show blank on a digital multi-meter or no deflection on an analog type. Then touch the leads together. The display should then show zero or a small number or deflection on an analog meter.
If this doesn't happen, you are not using the meter properly and trying to use it to test the cable is futile.

The way the meter works in these situations is that it puts voltage from the internal battery out on one of the leads and watches how "hard" it is for the electricity to get to the other lead. In this way it can measure the resistance in a circuit. Since a good cable should have virtually no resistance, the displayed value should be close to zero. If the leads are not touching, the circuit is open and should show infinite resistance.

When working as a Tech I always touched the leads together before using the meter for testing a questionable cable. If the indication on the meter didn't change I knew something was wrong with the test setup.

Edited by tedbear 10/9/2017 14:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)