AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best choice for a lightbar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/4/2017 07:16 (#6286421 - in reply to #6286324)
Subject: RE: Best choice for a lightbar

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I'm glad I don't use lightbars anymore since I have auto steer. Of all the lightbars I have used, I preferred the Raven models RGL500 and later RGL600. There have a large display and can work with most any GPS. I used one with a Raven Phoenix 200.

These Raven models like all lightbars have an indication as to where you are in comparison to where the AB line is. Like most lightbars these can be set to steer towards or away from the line depending on the user's preference. Most people prefer the setup where you steer towards the lights. Some pilots prefer the other arrangement due to their experience with certain aircraft displays.

These Raven displays have another set of LEDs that show your relative angle compared to the AB line. This is used in conjunction with the LEDs showing where the line is. By using both sets of LEDs, the operator can determine how much to turn the wheel to get back on line.

Here's an example of how this could work. I look at the display and notice that the top set of LEDs shows the line is to my right. I look at the bottom set of LEDs and see that it shows to the right also. This means that the line is to my right and my current angle is going away from the line. My action is to turn towards the right.

Lets suppose I look at the display and again notice that the top set of LEDS shows the line is to my right. I look at the bottom set of LEDs and see that the LEDS are centered or pointing to the left. This means that the line is to my right but I am heading to the right already. My action may be to do nothing as I will soon intersect the line.

In the above scenario, the "angle" LEDs show I'm turning in the proper direction already and helps one judge how much to turn the wheel if any. This helps prevent the common problem of overshooting the line.

The Ravens also have a SED (seed) and ROW (row) pattern choice which is handy for dealing with GPS and Planter drift as one works across a field. A button is pushed just prior to each end which causes the system to perform a ReCal of its location so the next pass is based on the last pass rather than one the original first pass.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)