AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Could a guy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 9/28/2017 18:07 (#6276441)
Subject: Could a guy?

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

This might be a bunch of loaded questions.

Could a guy with basically no tech currently put together a darn good system using the best of the last generation of technology that will last quite a few years and be able to grow with him? Could he do it for under $10,000? And could he make it pay back in say, 5 years, on about 1000-1200 acres? 

I would like to get into some serious tech, but dad has always been hesitant, both because of the $$ and to the uneducated it all seems very formidable, even to me sometimes. Weve been running 6 row equipment so there wasnt as much of a need. I rented my first piece of ground for next year and have a couple more to work on for 2019 hopefully. I will be using a Begining Farmer loan to purchase another tractor and thinking about adding the precision stuff too, if I can justify it.

Heres what we have/will have for equipment:
2 older FWA White tractors in good shape, not wore out.
12 row White 6700 planter with hydraulic drive and liquid fertilizer in a 2x2, not sure what were doing on a pump yet, might just stick with a piston pump. Also thinking about putting 4 section shutoffs on it.
Homebuilt 11 row 32% sidedress bar, again still debating on pumps
pull type sprayer 50ft booms with 3 sections, hydraulic pump, still using speed/pressure system.
2002 R62 Gleaner with 25ft flex and 6 row corn head.

To start out, I would move as much around as possible, and use used parts where I can find them. Some of the ground is ridge till while most of it is notill, we do still disk some if we need to after running cows on the stalks. Part of my reasoning to jump into this is because some of ridge till is with the new ground and we have to tear it up to go from 30" to 36" and would like to not have to tear them up again after we build them back up. 

From doing some research on here I think I want a Agleader Integra monitor as it gives the most bang for my buck, and I dont like a cluttered cab.

So what would be the bare minimum I need to be able to utilize everything to the best I can? From research I came up with this list so far.

Integra $3000
Antenna Not sure what I need
Planter module
liquid module
hydraulic module?
Ontrac2 $1500
misc cables and such. $500?

Theres only 2 of us and Dad spends most all summer doing hay, so theres not alot of times we both would be running equipment at the same time. The planter and the sidedresser would be on the same tractor so it could use the same Ontrac and then move it and the Integra to the combine. Depending on how things work, the first year or 2 we could still run the sprayer the way it is, and it does have a brand new $1500 foam system on it (it came with it when we bought it) Then maybe find an Insight to run the sprayer only.

I hope everyones still with me, I appolgize for the length, Im just trying to do my homework and spend $$ as wisely as possible.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)