AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versa question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/27/2017 07:25 (#6273607 - in reply to #6272754)
Subject: RE: Versa question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
wahlfarms - 9/26/2017 19:13

Have a versa monitor and harness use for mapping right now. What would I need for components to utilize auto steer. I'm familiar with Deere system. But lost when it comes to this. Any options or examples be great. Any used costs on equipment be appreciated

Also another question. Is their anyway to hook my raven 440 up via serial port to turn on mapping when I turn on master switch on raven console?

Concerning working with a Raven 440 and the serial port: To do this an Ag Leader module called the Application Rate Module is used. This module can work with an Insight, Integra and InCommand 1200 as I've personally done it. It appears it can be used with a Versa as well.

The Application Rate module can be used with at least the displays above for a variety of purposes: 1) connect to an implement switch to start/stop a coverage map (a common use might be a variety map while planting). 2) connect to a flow meter or shaft sensor to display/log and map an application product such as fertilizer or spray. Note the module does not control the rate or ON/OFF of the product, the actual rate control must be done by some other means. 3) connect to another device through a serial cable.

I have used my Application Rate Module in all these ways with different situations through the years. I currently use mine with my corn planter that has a ground driven starter fertilizer pump. Since the pump is ground driven, it starts/stops based on whether the planter is Up or Down. The rate is set by changing the stroke of the pump. The fertilizer is pushed through a Raven flow meter (RFM 15). An Ag Leader flow meter cable connects to the flow meter and plugs into the Application Rate Module. A configuration is needed on the Ag Leader display that contains the meter cal, width of the implement etc. so the display can accurately calculate the rate as well as log and map it. This is very helpful for me to monitor the fertilizer rate and change it when desired.

In the past I have used this same module with a serial Raven such as a 440 or 450. With this arrangement a special serial cable is needed from Ag Leader that plugs into the Raven and also into the Application Rate Module. Again a configuration is needed. If both devices are setup properly, two way communication between the Raven and the Ag Leader is established.

The Ag Leader can send over a desired rate to the Rate 1 register on the Raven. If the Raven Rate 1/Rate 2/MANual switch is set to Rate 1, the Raven will beep four times when it receives a new rate and attempt to apply that rate. If the Raven Rate 1/Rate 2/MANual switch is set to Rate 2 or MANual, this new rate will be received but the Raven will still apply as usual. This means that the operator would change Rate 1 by entering in different values on the Ag Leader. These rates could come from an Rx map if desired, although I never did that.

Between receiving new rates, the Ag Leader is sending back information to the Raven as far as which sections are ON, rate information etc. This allows the Ag Leader display to calculate the applied rate itself, log and map the information. Partial passes are handled properly since the Ag Leader is informed as to which booms are actually ON.

This arrangement does NOT allow the Ag Leader to control the boom sections for partial passes or at headlands. This must still be done via the Raven Master and/or Boom section switches. This produces a wealth of information and maps which can be very useful.

What you would need would be: 1) the application rate module 2) a stub cable on the module to a CAN connector on your Versa cable. 3) the special serial cable to connect the Application Rate module and Raven.

https://support.agleader.com/kbp/index.php?View=afile&EntryID=1544&A...

Another completely separate approach of using the Versa would be to use it in place of the Raven 440 completely. This requires some other modules and wiring. With this arrangement, Auto swath can be used to control sections automatically. The rate desired etc are all entered into the Versa. It too, would produce coverage and rate maps as well as the usual totals etc. This method would be more money to get into but does allow for auto swath and elimination of the Raven.

Edited by tedbear 9/27/2017 07:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)