AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions about Ag Leader equipment in green machines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 9/21/2006 21:28 (#45544 - in reply to #45534)
Subject: RE: questions about Ag Leader equipment in green machines

The problems started last year when we tried to move the reciver to the 4700, had to convert the 4700 to low voltage to make it work. No one bothered to tell us that until we had already purchased it. Then it was another $1100 to convert the 4700 so it would work. After all of that the guidance for the old G* is next to worthless. Deere billed it as being able to find a row when you turned around and since everything we do is on rows we figured that would be great, wouldn't have to try and count 36 rows at 8mph. Even spent the money for SF2 for 6 months. Problem was Charlie could count rows and be 100 yards through the field before the G* ever straightened out and indicated anything close to where it was supposed to be. Then as soon as you got close to another swath from a different terrace it was wandering off searching for that one instead of the one you were on. We'v had the dealer reps look at it and no one seems to be able to make it work any better.

This year the reciver would not mount on our combine, seems Mother Deere changed the series for one year and that is the year we now own. We've been over a week getting the right parts to run it, dealer ordered the wrong one the first time. Something about our receiver needing a pigtail to hook to and the new one's just plugging straight in.

I can't tell you more details than that because I've not been around when they were working on it, I've been in the dump trailer or on a scraper on a commercial job for Charlie most of the time. Longest I was in the combine was Saturday night until 3am Sunday, but wasn't inclined to do anything but get as much through the machine as possible before the storm blew in.

Originally we thought we'd make the switch to Deere so that we could keep our yield monitors etc. and just put them in the next combine, but I'm beginning to wonder if we'd be better off just buying our own Ag Leader and moving it from machine to machine.

We want to use it as a yield monitor, which the Deere worked ok once we got it all hooked up last year, just got it hooked up again today finally, we'll see how it works, although I did like Ag Leaders system for calibrating better. We'd also like to use it as a guidance monitor on the 4700. We really liked the looks of the new G*2 because it had a rolling horizon similar to the one from that company in Canada that went broke, can't think of the name right now. That type of system works really good on our irrigular fields. At some point we might look into recording data from a split planter and being able to tie it to the yield monitor, but that's further down on our list.

Hope harvest is going good up that way.
Stay safe,
Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)