AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do the original IH cut soys closer than Schumacher guard/sickle sytems/
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pirlbeck
Posted 9/24/2017 20:17 (#6268161 - in reply to #6267905)
Subject: RE: Do the original IH cut soys closer than Schumacher guard/sickle sytems/

West Central Iowa
Here is a copy and paste of a post I made last fall about this subject.

I have a 1020 with the SCH system with roller guides and was not happy with the quality of cut or the height of cut. Against SCH recommendations and the recommendations of one of their largest distributors, I flipped my guards and knife over to the bottom side of the cutter bar. This will gain you exactly 1" lower cut, which may not sound like a lot but it is a big difference. I had to notch the corners of the metal skid shoes to make room for the roller guides and had to grind some off of every skid shoe edge so the knife back would clear. I also had to grind a bevel in all of the blue spacer plates where they meet up with the bottom center of the skid shoes so they would go back far enough to align the bolt holes. It also takes a different knife head.

I had my feeder house pulled way back at the top from harvesting corn last fall and I left it there as I was concerned about picking up rocks and even with the feeder house top pulled way back it cuts much lower then it did last year. I still don't think it cuts as well as it should, and the guards are not worn much at all and I put all new sections in before the season, It does pretty well up to about 3 MPH, but any faster then that the cut starts getting a little ragged.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)