AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do the original IH cut soys closer than Schumacher guard/sickle sytems/
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 9/24/2017 19:33 (#6268004 - in reply to #6267905)
Subject: RE: Do the original IH cut soys closer than Schumacher guard/sickle sytems/

Manitoba
School

while I have not tried the Schumacher system my experience with the IH knives is as follows.

just went over this as we started beans Friday before getting rained out. on ours I have the IH 3" knives. I checked the feeder house positioning this year according to the manual which indicates how the feeder house mounting plate bolts length should be (dependant on tire size). the machines I have (1680's) have different size tires so if I remember correctly one was about 9 3/4"and the other after adjustment, was about 7 1/2". one of my machines was right on spec and the other was way way out. as in tilted all the way forward. when we got to the field I lowered the heads to how I thought the knives should be for cutting correctly and checked the head angle on the back of the head (the tin where it was flat lower down behind the header) with an angle guage. I just got a guage and had never checked this before. both were really close to 10 degrees, within a 1/4 degree. So the measurement of those bolts based on tire size is working for me here. or at least going by that guide it is getting me to the point where the head is at the 10 degree mark. the guards at this point were level to slightly down.

the heads were cutting very well, best I have ever had. I have found that the amount of down pressure I have the springs set at is a huge factor. when I first started with these I had way too much down pressure and pushed dirt unless conditions were absolutely dry and firm. not enough down pressure and the head flexes up too much every time it hits a bump. particularly if the hydraulic damper ? can't think of correct term for the thing, is open a lot, I find having it almost closed minimizes the floating around the head does. just open a crack.

the other thing I have found is, and I have read this often on other posts here, is that having the head not overly low when adjusting the AHHC makes a big difference. you get to the perfect point and if you go lower the guard tips angle up again. some of the combine operators I have have trouble getting their head wrapped around this.
but if you watch standing still its pretty obvious the way the guards will tip up as you go beyond the ideal point.

I find its tough to nail it down sometimes as its a cumulative thing based on all the different settings and speeds and field conditions etc.. that took me a while to fine tune but it seems to be coming together for me here. looks like it will be important as things seem to be getting very wet.

hope you get it working well.

Edited by Oakwood 9/24/2017 19:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)