AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how dry is it----was it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 9/23/2017 18:29 (#6265817 - in reply to #6265345)
Subject: RE: Hasn't rained here all summer!

Mid-Michigan
davpal - 9/23/2017 12:28

We also live in mid michigan (gratiot county) and we got pounded with about 7 inches of rain in the first of june and our crops struggled with the excess moisture. Then it stopped and has literally not rained the entire 100 + day growing season. We didn't get any rain besides and occasional 1/10 th pavement wetter in june, july, august, and all of september. It is a desert around here. I kept thinking it has to rain, it has to rain this week, it has to rain this month. Nope. Nada, zilch. So much time has passed now without rain it's almost crazy. We haven't even had a clap of thunder or a lightning bolt. It's like the atmosphere is dead and not moving here at all. The beans survived but finally gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and are pretty much ready to harvest. Not going to be great. Some of my friends that chop corn figure it's about 60-70 bpa. Just gave up and died about a month ago. Trees are changing colors and dropping leaves a month early. And to put the cherry on the top we are now stuck in a record breaking heat spell for a week that feels the hottest outside I've ever felt in 53 years. The sun feels like it's ten feet above your head. Last year it started this way but about the first of august it rained but not this year. At this point I'm not concerned about the crops as much as the general health of the area. If it rains I'm going to take the day off work and play in the rain all day! If and when it rains?!?

Yep. I drive your way on the way to lake city. After your flood I'm surprised that things look as good as they do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)