AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage Appraisal and Early Bean Yields, Northeast Nebraska
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dalobe01
Posted 9/22/2017 08:30 (#6263075)
Subject: Silage Appraisal and Early Bean Yields, Northeast Nebraska

David Loberg Northeast Nebraska
Just finished cutting silage yesterday and poked into a field of 2.4 beans yesterday. Was very shocked to see where yields were. Using kernel/stand counts, and 85000 kernel/bushel, have been estimating the dryland silage would come in 130-40, and the irrigated 170-180 with the dryland corners averaged in. Silage appraisals with ear weight method came in at 168 dryland & 196 irrigated/dryland. The silage also tonned out fairly well from what was expecting. The cool off during grain fill really allowed to pack ear weight on it appears. This dryland did 190 last year, and irrigated/dryland averaged 240 last year though. We chop our worst corn though, so I'm expecting other fields to be 10-20% better than these. Off of last year's crop, but for not having any measurable precip from May til 1st week of August, was pleasantly surprised. Beans were 20-30 bu/acre in dryland corners, irrigated ran 45-70. Running 11-14% moisure. For how crappy they look combining, was impressed. They never canopied row, are short, and not many pods. Planted in 30" rows, and not many plants over 24" inches tall. Bean pods are low, I am cutting in half with the sickle. It's frustrating leaving beans all over in the field for sure! Dryland beans did 50 bu/acre last year, and irrigated were in the 65-75 range. So overall, I'd say we are down 10-15% from last year in our area, but a lot better than was expecting with the dry weather we had. We got our bacon saved by the cool temps and rain we received during late corn fill and bean pod fill it appears. For what it's worth from my neck of the woods anyway...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)